Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Book of Mormon Challenge Find # 1


1 Nephi 2:9-10 - I had never really thought about these two verses before, but they stood out to me for the first time today. Maybe it’s because I’m a parent now and I feel the desperation in Lehi’s voice as I read him pleading with this sons to obey. What stood out to me today was the inspired way he plead with them. To Laman, he felt to compare the growth of his testimony to a river, ‘continually running into the fountain of all righteousness’, but to Lamuel he plead for him to be ‘firm and steadfast and immovable in keeping the commandment of the Lord’, comparing him to the nearby valley. I guess Lehi could have given one example to both, but he didn’t. He used two very distinct examples, even opposite in comparison. It makes me wonder about the bother’s differences in personality; perhaps Laman was a little wishy-washy in his beliefs and was easily strayed, following whatever course was easiest, as a small stream trickles away from the steady river instead of flowing into the sea. I wonder if Lamuel was so stubborn and determined to rebel, stubbornly resisting to choose the right, hence the comparison to being firm, steadfast and immovable for once in a good cause. If only he would have placed his stubbornness in living righteously, how different the story would have been!I guess as a mum it teaches me of the importance of remembering that each child is unique and need individual encouragement and teaching in the way that will best help them progress rather than following a ‘one size fits all” method. So, from one parent to another, thank you for the tip, Lehi.

No comments:

Post a Comment