Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Too Smart for Slow Mummy!

Vettoria is proving to be very quick-witted with a great sense of humor. I would say she gets it from me with my funny, witty charm, but anyone who knows Juan would argue that...

I am beginning to realise that not a lot gets past her anymore. She has surpassed the age where I can make up something on the spot that will satisfy her long enough to catch her attention. For example, when we pass McDonalds, once upon a time she would say "Mummy can we get an icecream from McDonalds?" and when I said "no, not today" she would become upset and start complaining. Sick of repeating myself and saying "I said not today Tori, please stop asking", I would perhaps end it with saying something like, "We don't have time, we are going home to watch Bananas in Pyjamas, remember?" to which she would automatically say "Yeah! I love Bananas!", the icecream forgotten. Juan calls it 'bribery', I simply call it 'reminding her of the fun things she already has in her life', as I'm sure any good mother would agree...

But nowdays things are a little different... My little distractions and ideas don't seem to work as easily as they used to. I have two examples to share from just this week....
1) We were driving along the gateway motorway and we were crossing the bridge over the Brisbane River. She was so excited to be on the bridge, and when we got off she was disappointed. She wanted to go on another bridge and when I told her there were no more until we drove home she got upset. She was complaining for such a long time that I actually thought I could trick her into thinking we were on another bridge. A couple of kilometres down the road I saw some water beside the road, kind of like a swampy grassland I guess. Our car drove up a slight hill on the road and so I took the opportunity to say "Hey look! We're on another bridge!" I thought it was quite a cool 'bridge' experience, despite the fact that it wasn't real.. However Tori's excitement was short lived when she excitedly asked, "where's the river?" to which I replied, "Over there, see?" pointing to the shallow patches of water. After looking out the window Tori turned back to look at me and with a look on her face that said, 'you've got to be kidding...' she said, "Mum, that's not a river, that's A POND", and shook her head, doing her best three-ear old eye-roll in my direction.
I didn't know whether to say "oops, my bad, silly mummy", or stand up for my pathetic, not-humorous gag and actually fight it out to convince her I wasn't as dumb as I seemed.. I decided to just say "Touche" and let it go, for both of our sakes.....

2) This experience happened within a day of the first, and it really hit home to me that I just can't pull off the same things I used to with her, or the things that I can with Eadie at the moment. This will sound weird, but Tori loves 'stacking' the shelves at the grocery store. While I push the trolley, she walks along nearby and begins moving tins and cans and putting them in color-coordinated order or according to their sizes. She does it as fast as she can and when I have passed her she hurriedly moves on to the next set of tins and begins straightening them as fast as she can to keep up with me. As weird as I think it is, I let her do it because 1) it keeps her occupied and 2) it stops her from asking for items I have no intention of buying.
One day an old lady asked her, "What are you doing?" She replied, "I'm just doing my work exercises". "That's good exercise", said the old lady and Tori said "Yeah, and I'm doing my work!". I decided to take advantage of the situation and I said as excited as I could, "If you want to do work exercises I can give you some exercises at home!" to which Tori shouted, "Yeah!" and jumped up and down happily. When we arrived home I was quick to put my plan to work. "I think it's time to do some exercises!" I said. "How about we run around as fast as we can and pick all the books up and put them in the book case! It will be great fun and you can do good exercises!" She was excited, and I pretended to time her as she ran around picking up the books. "Well done!" I said when she walked into the kitchen a couple of minutes later slowly and looking bored. I gave her a five minute rest and then suggested we do some more exercises. She was very excited, so I said, "OK, this time how about we run around as fast as we can and pick up all the shoes and put them in the shoe drawer!" Tori suddenly stopped looking excited and let out a deflated breath. "Mum", said tiredly, "These aren't exercises, it's just CLEANING!"
I once again had no debate to argue and I simply gave her the "Touche" for the second time in as many days and admitted my defeat.

What has happened to my ignorant, naive little girl who I could manipulate with just the simplest of ideas? At age 3 she has grown up, and now I just seem like a silly mummy who doesn't have a clue....
But at least I can still work my magic on Eadie who hasn't yet discovered my cunning and trickery! ah ha ha ha haaaaaaa!! :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment