Wednesday, May 11, 2011

HAPPY 2nd BIRTHDAY EADITH!

Our cheeky Eadith Indiana is now two years old, how exciting! We celebrated by going to her favorite park and spending time with our close family and friends. Juan and I were excited to build Eadie up for her 'big day' and made a big deal out of it as the days ticked by. When it finally arrived she had perfected answering "I'm two!" and holding up two fingers when someone asks "how old are you?". Such a cutie!

She had a great time running around eating lollies and chasing bubbles! As our house is not big enough to hold family AND friends (or even just family comfortably for that matter) the park provided entertainment and space for lots of people to enjoy.

This year we rushed to "Cinderella Park" about 3 minutes drive away to find that there was still ONE gazebo left which we practically sprinted to grab. How quickly the park fills up with kids parties! There were at least four of them on at the same time, so we were glad we arrived at 9am to get the one last good spot (having said this, I cannot wait for the day when I have a house and backyard big enough to have parties at my actual home!!).



I actually remembered to snap pics of the decorations this year of which I am particularly proud of as I actually spent time making them instead of just buying them! I tried out two new things: 1) tissue paper flower balls, and 2) a cookie tree. I was so excited about the flower balls, they were so easy and they looked fabulous. I will definitely be using them instead of balloons more often. The cookie tree was a lot of fun, and very easy too. Cassandra gave me the idea and I wondered for a couple of days "where do I find enough good branches to make it?" I looked around some people's backyards to no avail, and glanced about local streets as I drove from place to place. I even considered buying them.... Then one day it hit me - I have a State Forest in my suburb! Durr!! Daisy Hill Forest is about one minute from our house so, shaking my head I drove there and of course found five perfect branches for my little tree. I spray-painted them almost-white and positioned them in a bowl. I then made delicious little cookies and Juan and I iced them at 1am the night before the party (yes, 1am..). We then hung them up and I was really pleased with the result! Fun, yummy, simple... my kind of decoration!



As for Eadie's cake this year I was totally happy with how it came out. We (Tori and I) decided on a Dora the Explorer theme and I bought figurines so she could keep them as a gift as well. I opted for a 3-tier design for three reasons: 1) I wanted an entire tier dedicated to Alisha's gluten-free family, 2) I wanted a tier for my family to take home because, well, I am a chocoholic, and 3) three tiers looks more fabulous than two ;-)

Having said this, is NEVER ceases to amaze me how long it takes to organise food for a party. Despite having prepared DAYS in advance, I was once again standing in my kitchen at midnight with an aching back putting the finishing touches on the cookies and cake. Is it just me or is this what all mothers do? Am Ireally that slow at this decorating thing? Do I make too much? Do I do things the hard way? Do I leave too much to the last minute? I'm not sure. I have been doing this for four years now and I think I still have a lot to learn about the whole 'toddler party' planning scene. Oh well, I can only improve I guess! Meanwhile, the cake came out great and although I'm exhausted, the pics and memories are well worth the effort.


Eadie walked away from this party not only a year older, but also with a car-load full of great toys, books and clothes. Dora the Explorer was the Hero of the day, and she actually scored TWO pairs of Dora PJs! Another pair given as a gift to Tori as well, we now have Dora PJs galore, much to the girls delight! Add to that Dora books, hair clips and figurines, as well as a dress, sandpit toys and a new backpack, Eadie decided she really liked this whole birthday party thing.


The party was delightful and Eadie ran around enjoying herself with bubbles and chocolates while she played with the other kids. In her prayers tonight she thanked heavenly father for her party and when I asked her what she loved about her party she instantly said "my cake"... and that made me smile :-) ...

Our cheeky little monkey is growing up so fast! She is such a special, happy girl. She is funny and independent and mischievous... but she also is so compassionate and caring she never ceases to amaze us.
To our special baby girl:

"Happy Birthday!"







No comments:

Post a Comment