Thursday, June 21, 2012

The little things

As the girls are getting older I'm finding myself desperately trying to remember all the things I always said "I will never forget that!". I've done the same thing about the mission; things I swore at the time I would always remember are lost or slowly getting there. I'm really glad I jotted down heaps of memories while I was a missionary, otherwise these things would be gone forever. 


Well, the same thing is happening with my kids. I'm really grateful I started this blog almost three years ago, and I already have two huge books that I printed off of the posts from year to year. Its so much fun to look back and see each child grow so quickly, and remember all the things we've been up to over the years. But so many things go unmentioned. So many things are hilarious or cute and I don't even mention them. So I wanted to get a couple of them out from the top of my head right now so that one day I can look back and go, "That's right, I remember! That was sooo cute!/Annoying!/Hilarious!"


1) Tori is paranoid about elevators ever since Eadie got stuck in one. Every time we go near one she begins yelling, "Eadie! Hold on to the pram! Eadie! Come here, hold on to the pram!" It's sooo annoying as most of the time Eadie is perfectly fine and doesn't really need to hold on to anything. But for some reason Tori continually has to bring it up. Every single shop we drive into she will say, 'Mum, does this shop have an elevator?" and if it does, she always says, "Eadie, this shop has an elevator. Make sure you hold on to the pram" to which Eadie obediently replies, "Ok". And when the shop doesn't have an elevator Tori has actually been known to break into song, "Whoo hoo! This shop does not have an elevator!" in an operatic voice. No joke! But although it's annoying when she begins freaking out as we walk towards the elevator, at the same time I can see the concern she has for her little sister and it turns from annoying to really not wanting it any other way. :-) 


2) "Muu-um, Eadie wont stop copying me!" I hear these words sung through the air from the back seat of the car multiple times a day. But the reason why I don't get annoyed by it is because Eadie sings it at the same time Tori does, and it is just sweet and hilarious. They now say it all day just because it's fun to do, I'm sure. Plus, the fact that Eadie really wont stop copying Tori might have something to do with it. They love copying eachother. But they have two different ways of doing it, both as excruciating as the other. Tori will repeat everything you say back to you, whereas Eadie will actually say what you are saying as you're saying it. Her little motor mouth fumbles for the words as you try to speak, and you full know she is not understanding a word you or her are saying as she is concentrating so hard on copying every word instead. It drives Tori INSANE, but gee, it is hilarious to listen to, and then right on cue I'll hear it: "Muu-um! Eadie won't stop copying me" in chorus together. :-)


3) Eadie calls elevators "Alligators". For the life of me I cannot get her to pronounce ELEVATOR!! 


4) Every SINGLE time we get in or out of the car Eadie MUST run to the letterbox to "check the mail!". Even as we drive down the driveway the words filling the car are "Mum, I get the mail!" but I also hear the exact words when I open up the garage door to go anywhere! Often she will come back with mail, sometimes none, and she holds them like a prized possession. But, just like her fear of Eadie getting stuck in an elevator, Tori also has a fear of the garage door (as a result of the elevator I guess  because we haven't had any scary garage door incidents I can think of...) so Tori, every day will say to me "Mum, don't close the door, Eadie's getting the mail! Hurry Eadie!" and when she's back in I can then press the button to put the remote door down. So getting in and out of the car always takes at least one minute longer than it has to. Gee, the things I do to make my kids happy!! :-|


That's all I got this minute, but I'll definitely be back for more later :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment