Sunday, September 9, 2012

Juan turns 32!!

Happy Birthday to my gorgeous husband Juan! OK, so this event took place almost two months ago, but it's of course still worth the mention! Unfortunately almost all pics of the day were on our lost camera which I am in the process of still looking for... so I'll keep you posted..

Meanwhile, in usual 'Juan' fashion the event was totally low-key and not about to win a 'party of the year' award, but hey, what the boy wants, the boys gets. So, we had a delicious dinner of his favorite, my infamous chicken and spinach scrolls with creamy mushroom sauce, followed by an amazing white chocolate cheesecake covered in cream and strawberries, created by moi, which I must say was delicious even though it had a... shall we say, 'rustic' appeal to it... and it was my very first attempt at cheese cake, so the fact that Juan loved it was ultra special! The girls and I also went into the city and had lunch with him at New Farm park which we always love.
Present wise, we had a lot of fun getting him some things he needed and wanted. His parents gave him a new soccer ball (his new favorite toy), and he received a new toothbrush from us (after Eadie kept on stealing his to use, thinking it was mine she was taking, but I wasn't about to correct her, haha). He also bought himself a new pair of shoes, and the girls gave him a photo of themselves in a frame which sits on his desk at work.

But I think the ultimate awesome gift was the surprise one we left until he came home that night. I was so excited to give it to him, but it was pretty big and the kind of thing you can't just whip out and hand over. It had to be the right moment. Now, if you know my husband really well, you may have learned the hard way that he hates, cannot stand, and refuses to entertain a "surprise". It's ridiculous and it would probably drive me mad if it were the character trait of someone I didn't adore. So when we met him for lunch and told him about the big "surprise present" we had waiting for him at home, the anticipated fun I had predicted went straight to the usual "Aw, tell me what it is...", followed by my usual response, "No! You'll have to wait and see!" to which he replied, "that's it, I'm coming home right now. Let's go", to which I said "no, you have to stay at work, I'm still making the cheesecake", to which he argued, "Tell me what it is! You know I can't stand surprises! I'll cancel the party if you don't tell me!" to which I began to wonder if I should fold... but I held my ground. "No! I'm not telling, and no amount of threats will make me tell! Why can't you just enjoy the moment like a normal person and look forward to it?" to which he stated, "What's there to enjoy? Not knowing what's going to happen or that it's going to be something horrible?" "It's not going to be horrible! it's funny!" I interject. "Oh, so it's a joke? You're playing a joke on me?" he freaks out. "No, it's not a joke, gee Juan, just relax! You'll love it! It's hilarious!" Then he really gets worried. "Rani just tell me", he says. "You know I hate waiting for surprises, especially when I know it's going to be a joke". But I wouldn't let him rain on my parade... even though now that I think about it... it was his parade.... Hmm.. :-/  ... awkward moment..

Anyway, I promised to send him pics of the present so he could guess what it was. And that was when the fun began. haha. These were the pics I sent thinking surely he would guess what it was before he saw it...


But NO, he didn't get it! Seriously, what's a wife to do?! Even an old lady would know what this is... Can you tell what it is by that huge clue? That's right, it's a Shopper Trolley! Or, as some would call it (Juan), a Granny Trolley! haha.

Why on earth would a wife get this for her husband, I hear you ask?  Well, let me explain the logic behind my madness.. Every couple of weeks we go to the fruit and vegie markets and my job is to navigate my way through all the stalls and buy the produce, and his job is to find the easiest route to a waiting 'post' where I exit the stalls and give him lots of bags filled with lots of food. We then go from stall to post as we make our way through the markets with the girls at our heels. Well, every time we are there we watch the other shoppers pulling their trolleys and as Juan pushes along the pram which is choc-o-block filled with grocery bags hanging off every nook and crammed into every cranny, guaranteed he will always  say "gee, wish we had one of those granny things". We then chuckle to ourselves at how geeky they are, but I can see the envy and desire in his eyes... and so when I was out at the shops on his birthday and I saw the trolleys just sitting there, the inspiration hit like lightening and I just knew it was the perfect birthday present for my super rad, too-cool-for-school hubby.
Well, needless to say he thought it was ... well, hilarious, embarrassing, but at the same time he saw the merit in such a gift and was, in his own shaking of the head way, appreciative. :-)  Score!

So, all in all, Juan had a lovely 32nd birthday, filled with fun and family. We took lots of great pics of the party on the camera but until I find it, the mobile pics of the hot granny trolley are as close a look as you'll be getting.   Meanwhile, I'll have to take some updated pics of us at the markets pulling our bulk supply of fruit n veg as we blend seemlessly with the other professional marketeers. :-)  Happy Birthday Baby! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment