Thursday, April 11, 2013

THAT mother...

What an exciting event was Vettoria's first ever Cross Country! She had been waiting her whole life for something so competitive to perform in, and at last she got her chance. And guess what?? She WON!! She was the FIRST girl to cross the line, the second person out of everyone!!! It was so super exciting I could hardly contain myself!!

She was all dressed up for the event in her school team color, yellow. Unbeknownst to me they were selling school colored shirts in the canteen leading up to the event, so instead we hit the shops looking for a perfect yellow shirt. I saw every shirt apart from yellow, until we finally came across this one:
She loved it! And along with tights and yellow socks she was all ready to go out there and run! 
It wasn't until I got to the school that I realised the team color yellow was actually more orange than yellow, so, needless to say, she was sticking out like a sore thumb in her highlight bright yellow shirt with a big smiley love heart on the front... :-/  ..oops!

To our delight, Irma was able to come and cheer with us, so we all headed up to the oval where the running would take place. The track was quite short for the little preppies, only about 300m or so, so I knew she wouldn't have a problem with the distance. I was expecting her to do a pretty good job, as Juan and I were both runners at school and after seeing her run around with her friends I was convinced the gene had passed on, but I had no idea just how well she would do! 

The gun went and off they ran! I was sooo grateful for the bright yellow shirt at that point, because she really was the only kid anyone could recognise from the starting line over the other side of the field! :-)
So there we stood, me and Irma along with all the other mums, waiting for the gun. When it finally went off, I naturally began screaming my lungs out, "Go Tori! Go!" along with Irma. At one point as they rounded the first bend, Tori actually looked over at us when she heard me call her name, which made me hold back a little until she was close enough to understand I was encouraging her and not calling out to her! haha. 

So she ran and ran, and for the first 100m she was in the lead! I was so excited, and I could see other mothers looking at me with funny little smiles on their faces as they clicked that she was mine. Which was when I realised... was I the only one yelling? Irma standing next to me was also cheering, but apart from her, we were pretty much alone.. Other mothers were clapping every now and again or maybe the occasional  "Go so-and-so!"... Don't believe me? My friend Fiona, without me knowing, was standing on the other side of the race course and she actually snapped a pic of me and Irma cheering! I love this pic!:


See? Who knew most mothers didn't cheer?? Well I am a cheerer, and I will again and again and again, because it was soooo super exciting and I loved watching her doing so well in something she loved. Actually, it was quite hilarious because her friend Alex came first and so she was running about 4m behind him for the last 50m or so. But in the last 10 or so meters I think she thought "We've did it, we can slow down now", so after Alex crossed the line she kind of slowed into a jog and at one point was going so slow the other kids had caught up to her behind her and Irma and I were on the sidelines yelling "Keep running! Keep running!" for fear that they would overtake her and reach the young girl standing at the end of the race holding the place ribbons before she actually did! It was excruciating to see the other kids almost catching up to her as she was completely oblivious to what was happening behind her!! So awfully funny :-) 

 She did so well, I was so proud of her. And you know what? The first thing she said to me when we walked up to each other after she got her ribbon was, "Did you see me?" to which I said "Yes! Did you hear me cheering?" She did, and then she asked me the cutest question in the world.. "Mum, I came second! Are you proud of me?" It just made my heart melt. "Yes, I am so proud of you!" I said. "I am always proud of you! You tried so hard and you did so well!" We hugged and I could just see how proud she was of herself and how happy she was that she made me so happy. It was a precious moment, and a wonderful event. Even though I looked like 'one of those' mothers with my daughter dressed as the only one in running tights and the brightest shirt in the grade, as well as being the loudest cheerer there, I am sooo looking forward to more occasions to make a fool of myself in the future!! :-) 
Meanwhile, check out our little runner..... 

Long legs, arms relaxed, loose hands, breathing easy....... piece of cake ;-)


  
Hugs before the race!!

1 comment:

  1. Lol! That's beautiful Rani! I would have been cheering my heart out too! Congratulations Tori!! :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete