Friday, December 27, 2013

My Hair


The first awesome cut. I loved it!

Warning - this post contains a lot of 'selfies'! I know, we all do it but that doesn't make the fact any less humiliating, especially when there are so many of them in one post. But you'll understand why as you read.... Anyway, here goes...

So the title of this post is a little embarrassing, but frankly that's what this is about... My hair.  

Its been around 20 months since I last had my hair cut pixie short, and I can't believe how much it has grown in that time. I loved having it so short, but at the same time it was a lot more effort and upkeep with having to cut it practically every month if I wanted to keep the perfect 'look'. The pros however of having such short hair was the time saved in getting it ready, always having a cute, no-thought, pre-planned look to wear no matter what the occasion, and it hid any grey strands of hair on the top of my head with a simple strategically placed part. It gets rid of old, dead hair and lets you start from scratch; this was awesome for me as I've had to dye my hair because of grey strands since I was about 22 and the result was dry and unhealthy, so cutting it all off was pretty much a necessity. Another thing is that it accentuates your features. Everyone would comment on it wherever I went; how it made my neck look longer, my eyes brighter, my jaw-line sharper. That was awesome for a 32 year old mother of three to hear :-)

Trying a new color and experimenting
with a fringe. One very annoying thing
about growing out a pixie is that you have
so much hair at the front that you have
to do SOMETHING with. 
2nd cut - Loved it at first but it was cheap and as it
grew out it looked worse and worse..
 The cons? Well, the constant upkeep was expensive if you wanted a decent cut every month. So I was paying around $80 for a trim in order to get a cut that was going to look awesome as it grew out in the next month. I once paid $30 for a trim and although I loved it when it was done, by the end of the first fortnight it looked like I had been hacked with garden sheers. So it wasn't worth it to save $50 if that was what it was going to look like. But the unexpected shock of $80 a month on just your hair is lot of money to suddenly dedicate to yourself, especially when you go from a home-kit $22 hair-dye, and a brow wax being your only beauty cost every 6 weeks. Another con is that you can't change it. I know it's also a pro that you always have the 'go to' look, but for a person who is used to doing whatever she wants with her hair and who can pull off a lot of different hair styles, suddenly waking up to the same hair cut every single day can get annoying every once in a while. Having said that, most of the time I loved it. But sometimes you just wished you could pull your hair back into a tight bun, or have long wavy curls cascading down you back with that perfect outfit. With a pixie, that aint gonna happen. Ooh, speaking of perfect outfits, another con is that your wardrobe has to change with hair that short. Yep. One Sunday I put on one of my favorite outfits only to realise it DID NOT work with the new pixie cut. It was like I needed more hair to balance the floral skirt I was wearing, or something. Who knew it was my hair that was helping to make that outfit what it was?? :-/ Check out these looks over the past couple years.

Growing it out....Annoying,  but not as awkward a
I thought it was going to be...
         
       
At last, I can pull it back again!!! Kind of..
And now I can wear it however I want. Pretty cool, that.

Trying out new things with curling wands :)
        
Growing longer and longer.. at last!! 

I LOVE being able to pull my hair back into a tight bun again. 
  
I've even done the ol' puffy long bob thing
I actually like it, and seriously, it's so easy to do!!!
Anyway, I loved being pixie short and I will definitely be going that short again one day, after I've grown it all back out and get bored with doing nothing with it. Meanwhile, I can wear buns, curls, and any outfit I want.. So for now I'm  pretty happy. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment